Our Sweet Girls...

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

MUSIC

You can pause it at the bottom of the page

Sunday, August 31, 2008

8 Month Birthday

Happy 8 Months, Riley Joy! I just tucked her up into bed. She had been asleep for a while but I stole a few extra moments of cuddling. It was dark, and the music was playing. Ryan found the CD yesterday, the one we played every night all night long when Riley was a newborn. It's Cannon in D and just the most calming and soothing instrumental music out there. It is the only music that we've ever been able to sleep with, with out feeling zonky when we wake up (you know that feeling?).
Listening to that CD makes me think of those crazy early days of Riley's life. The first memory is the pain, hopefully that will fade some day... C-Sections and gall bladder barfing mixed SUCKS, not kidding.
Then the sleep deprivation. The painfully long 2am feedings. Sitting with my eyes propped open, with my cumbersome nursing pillow, and the mound of burp cloths (Milk, milk eeevery where!). Battling it out for 5-10 minutes untill I got her to latch and then sitting there for what felt like hours untill she was done. Thirty minutes later holding my breath as I laid her back in her bed praying she wouldn't wake up when she felt her body lose contact with mine.
Oh to have known then, what I do now. Mastering the technique of nursing laying down was the best thing I have learned as a Mom. Seriously, it may seem trivial and unimportant but it's not, it's really not! To snooze while she nursed was absolutely key in getting through that week in the hospital when she was 10weeks old.

But even with all the painful memories, I still love remembering that time. Laying with Riley tonight, listening to those songs...She was so tiny. She was so new. She was always so desperate for contact with us. She was so STILL (comparitively).
I love our bedtime routine now, laying with Riley in a dark room at nap times and bedtime is the only time in the entire day that I get to hold my baby. She is a never ending being of motion and curiosity. I miss that itsy bitsy newborn (though the memories of her first weeks are way to fresh for me to miss it TOO much). I love looking back. I love how music does that, for the rest of my life when I hear that CD I will think of holding my new baby, as a new Mom, and the newness of that time in my life.
Anyway enough mushy stuff...Here are the pics of the kiddo exploring her world- in style! :0)


She found her hat, I put it on her and it stayed on for a while while she explored...She really likes hats, she eventually takes them off but she keeps them on for a while!

Taking a step between the ottoman to the rockign chair, tricky tricky! Not the ottoman shoved up tight against the foot of the stairs -a good altertnative to the babygate...Untill she learns to climb over it. :0)

She loosk like she's dancing here.

She got down nder the rocker...She's really very graceful at getting down now! Lowering herself carefully with out falling. It's quite nice after weeks of very noisey episodes after spill after spill after spill...

Our little adventurer!

1 comment:

Kris Hoskinson said...

i totally get it. i miss those moments of the first weeks but yet i don't....ya know? it is the stillness, the cuddling, the chance to just hold her that i miss. now the ONLY time she is still enough and lets me cuddle is if she falls asleep in my arms in the rocker after she eats before bed. and yes, i steal those moments too. ahhh..it is going way to fast!!!