Our Sweet Girls...

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

MUSIC

You can pause it at the bottom of the page

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dog Show...And Garden

I thought the grandparents would get a kick out of this little story...

Last Saturday morning Ryan had "men's group" at church and I had to go into work- Since I was going to be away all afternoon at a church thing- going there right from work, I felt that the entire day would be too much seperation for Riley (and me!) and I decided to bring her to work with me, instead of asking my Mom if she could keep Riley untill Ryan got home.

We walked into the dark, quiet apartment and saw my client was still asleep- I guess the quietness (some thing that doesn't really exisit at home) kinda scared Riley, she began to fuss and was clinging to me. I turned on the TV in the hopes that some little preschool show would be on and distract her (and make some noise). Nothing doing, Riley began to cry... I didn't want to disturb my client and I was kinda getting desperate, I was dreading a morning with an upset/annoyed 90 year old and a fussy 15mos old.
I flipped the TV to Animal Planet and saw the Dog Show was on. It was an INSTANT fix!!!!!!! Riley stopped crying and lit up, sooo happy squealing, "Doooooooddie!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Dooooooooooddie!!!!!!!!" She sat in my lap (some thing that just doesn't happen) for 30 minutes watching the "doddies", transfixed.

I was cracking up. Why does she love dogs SOO much? Any dog, be it a tiny little toy breed to a great big hair ball- she knows what they are!

As it turned out the dog show was exactly what Riley needed to adjust to the new surroundings, and my client woke up and was SO happy to see RJ- they had a blast together. Riley really has a gift with the elderly- She is generally very shy and stand off-ish around new people at first (though she is starting to outgrow it a bit). But with the clients I have worked with she is always warm and friendly right from the start.

Anyway the morning went so well and it really was encouraging to know that my client does so well with children (and RJ was zipping all over the place she is BUSY!). I'm planning on bringing the new baby in with me for the first couple of months- and it is good to know ahead of time that it shouldn't be a big deal.

Today is Riley's 15month birthday!! I can't believe how fast she is growing.

We started our great big "Glory Garden" last Saturday-We're putting a big veggie garden in in the back half of the back yard. Ryan went through and dug up the ground last weekend (mostly by hand!) and Riley ran around "helping" Nana dig holes/plant rosebushes and getting deliciously muddy and messy. It was funny she'd fall in the dirt and then lift her hands up in the air in a "ewww" kinda stance...Then she'd try to stand up with out touching any thing- didn't work so well. :0)
The back yard "before" picture

Riley playing out in the alley while Nana snapped some pictures!

Riley loves to do any thing "grown up"- Daddy was putting her to work!

I think that shovel is just a biiiit to big yet.

She LOVES doors, and keys, keys and doors, she played with the garage door keys for a good 30 mintues!

Riley and her Nana
I think she looks like her Uncle Benjamin here.

Raking- such a big helper. Actually she was trying to use it as a shovel because that was what Daddy was doing- it wasn't working so well. :0)


We were all cleaned up from the work and came out to watch Ryan finish off the last bit of yard with the rotatiller (sp?).



Tilling the back acre :0p
All done! We start planting this weekend!

2 comments:

Jenna Lyn said...

Great job with the backyard!
It looks wonderful. =]

and also....

Riley Joy is so adorable!

Kris Hoskinson said...

nice job with your garden, i'm hoping to do one of those sometime in the future. :) when i get motivated....
i love the fact that our girls love DOGS! hilarious. sorry i'm still not getting one.... ha ha