Riley came down with her first real cold over the weekend...I know I've said she's had colds before. But those ended up being a stuffy nose for a day and then disappeared... This one is her first real nose running, miserable and cranky, full blown cold. She was extremely miserable over the weekend and running a little tempature, poor baby! She did NOT sleep well over the weekend, waking us up every hour or two to have her nose emptied (haha) and to cuddle and be held...She'd scream and cry almost every time I laid her down...I was starting to wonder about her ears.
Monday was AWFUL, she screamed and cried and wouldn't nap, wouldn't let me put her down and would break into horrible shrieks at points like she was in pain. On top of that she wouldn't nurse. She'd eat when she was hungry but she loves to comfort nurse and she was having NONE of it when I'd try to use that "tool" to calm her down. I was pretty sure it had to be her ears...By 1pm we were both at the end of our ropes, I called the doctor and they said to bring her in right away.
We headed in and took her tempature (tiny fever) and then the doctor checked her ears and throat...Throat was thankfully clear. But both ears looked very red, double ear infection.
Monday was AWFUL, she screamed and cried and wouldn't nap, wouldn't let me put her down and would break into horrible shrieks at points like she was in pain. On top of that she wouldn't nurse. She'd eat when she was hungry but she loves to comfort nurse and she was having NONE of it when I'd try to use that "tool" to calm her down. I was pretty sure it had to be her ears...By 1pm we were both at the end of our ropes, I called the doctor and they said to bring her in right away.
We headed in and took her tempature (tiny fever) and then the doctor checked her ears and throat...Throat was thankfully clear. But both ears looked very red, double ear infection.
So not only did Riley have her first full blown cold, but she has an ear infection on top of it. The Burgetts have not been getting much sleep! Last night was rough Riley was up every hour or 2 wanting to be held, nursed, given tylonol or needing her nose cleaned out. The doctor thankfully gave us an antibiotic, saying that if it was viral it would clear up but no point in putting her through extra days of pain to find out.
So we shall see. My theory is that it's bacterial she had that tiny touch of a cold 2 or so weeks ago and last week she started screaming almost any time I laid her down to change her diaper and at other times doing this weird thing with her head...She would be playing with her toys on the floor and then all of a sudden she'd tip her head way back and shake it, apparently that's a sign of pressure in the ears!
Either way I hope it clears up soon and her sleep gets back to "normal" she's been sleeping 6-8 hour stretches at night and I miss that!! :0(
In other news Riley took 2 steps last night! She walked between the ottoman and the couch. It'sthe first time she's walked by herself with out looking like she was lunging (a "controled fall" I like to call it), she's getting closer!!
Also the PA weather is absolutely PERFECT and the weekend was wonderful! We took Riley out on the back porch to play for a bit, here are the pictures.
The leaves were SO exciting!!
I also thought I'd mention the hat she is wearing in those pictures... It was a really crisp day and when Ryan wanted to take her outside I realized we didn't have a winter hat for her yet! And there was no way I was taking her out with a cold with out one... The hat she is wearing is the hat we brought her home from the hospital in! I thought you'd enjoy seeing what it looked like on her then. ;0)
Riley Joy 3 days old.
Well then Nana (my Mom) realized she didn't have a winter hat yet she offered to make her one out of some leftover fleece she had... I would have been happy with any thing that covered her head. But Mom went above and beyond and made this adorable hat!
I just took these pictures a few minutes ago...The hat handily matched her PJ's!
Can you see her adorable tassle on the back of the hat???
Well that's all for now, some one is getting fussy...I think she's hungry.


No comments:
Post a Comment